Thursday, October 25, 2007

More than The Messenger

When I first took a church job (way back in 1972: I was 19), I published the congregation’s newsletter. It was dubbed The Messenger and was printed on a Gestetner mimeo. I typed the newsletter on a stencil, stretched the stencil over the ink drum, cranked the press by hand, “slip-sheeted” a cardboard rectangle between each copy (to allow the ink to dry without smudging) and then fed the newsletter through the folding machine. Next, I addressed each copy with an ancient Address-o-graph (don’t ask—enough to say it was heavy metal—and I’m not talking about rock music).

At last, I sorted The Messenger by zip code and “invented” a few extra names and addresses (to bring the total to 200—you had to mail 200 pieces to qualify for bulk-rate postage). Many weeks, I sent 20 copies to the church office, addressed to “Hilda Schmutz”—a name I made up that actually referred to an old girlfriend upon whom I once had a crush, but who never had a crush on me. Okay, so I was only 19.

In those days, I imagined that only my mother would read the newsletter. My mom always read everything. But, c’mon, who else would read it? Well, maybe my grandma. I knew that Hilda Schmutz didn’t care.

Thirty-five years later, I still pen a weekly column. But, I still sometimes wonder if anyone besides my mom reads what I write. My grandma died in 1989. Hilda Schmutz still doesn’t care.

But, if I ever doubted that the newsletter is read, my doubts have been relieved in recent weeks. I’ve been getting a lot of feedback from things I’ve writ-ten. And, it’s not always “a good report.” Some take issue with what they’ve read by my hand; some disagree; some have been wounded; some aren’t sure I’m even telling the truth. Ouch.

The concerns expressed are so diverse as to preempt a reply in a forum like this. But, please know that I consider carefully all of the feedback I receive. I care about what others think—in a healthy way, I think.

Some of the correspondence received has been prompted by the sweeping changes we have all felt as we moved to Madison Park. To be sure, there have been some losses with the gains. Losses are real and can be very painful. My wife and I have felt many of those losses deeply; the last year has been especially tough. Because I am (dysfunctionally?) not accustomed to discussing my losses (beyond that Seattle thing I always whine about), I don’t always validate the losses in others lives. For this, I am deeply sorry.

Perhaps, some correspondence has been prompted by things I have written insensitively—not always appreciating the implications of an idea put forward. This is especially true when attempting to illustrate a point by drawing an analogy (which opens the door to all kinds of parallels, intended and not intended). I’m just dense, sometimes. I’m also very sorry for any grief I’ve caused on this score.

And, then, some correspondence may be prompted simply by differing perspectives. I just don’t see things sometimes like the world does around me. Truth be told, after 16 years, I still am sometimes conscious that I am “an outsider”—that my experience in Anderson is not the same as others who have always called Madison County home. I need to be more circumspect sometimes, understanding the limits of my own analysis and perception.

And so, to all those who read the pastor’s column: thanks so much for reading—even when you might find something I have written unnecessarily provocative or bruising. To all those who take the time to read and then also lovingly share your thoughts, thanks to you, as well. I respect and value your ideas, too.

To anyone who has been ruffled, I apologize. I do believe that what I have written is true—at least it is true as seen through the lens of my experience (which is different from objective, absolute truth, of course). Still, I will try to more carefully sort and express my thoughts in the days ahead.

As always, thanks to each one who extends grace—who always believes the best, hopes for the best, and calls out the best. If anybody in this town needs grace, it’s me. I am way less than perfect, on so many fronts. Newsletter columns included.

There are days, honestly, when I long for the simpler life I once knew, standing by the old Gestetner, slip-sheeting The Messenger. I didn’t write so much then; I was not responsible for so much then. I sort-ed the mail—it was not addressed to me.

But, on the other hand, I wouldn’t trade the rich experience of pastoral ministry at Madison Park for any nostalgic “days gone by” in my memory. I have seen too much of God’s good work all around me, in spite of me, to want to go back.

Be encouraged, dear friends. Thanks for reading. Thanks for writing. Thanks for loving, anyway.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

As always Jim, I appreciate your sincerity, humility, and openess to share with us. I've never personally been ruffled or grieved by any of your articles or messages. I know you only speak truth through your own perspective and also through the guidance of the Holy Spirt. If this bothers some, I would recommend they take a deeper look within their own hearts to figure out what personal hidden issues are being triggerd.

I personally don't want to listen to someone who tells me what I want to hear, but who will challenge me to want to change and grow spiritually; to challenge me to look differently at things in my life.

You, Pastor Jim, have a gift of speech (and story telling) of whom the Holy Spirt speaks through to those who will open their hearts and listen. I personally feel very blessed to be an audience of your "messages".

jlk

Anonymous said...

At a previous church where we attended, I used to be shocked at the bitterness and venom in the people who seemed to be drawn to our congregation. One of our pastors kept telling me, "We are a hospital; that's why we draw people who are spiritually sick." I read your threads columns in their entirety each week, and I have never been wounded or bruised or thought that you were lying. I guess Madison Park is a hospital, too.

Thanks for your wise and loving care, "Dr. Jim." Sometimes medicine is yucky and surgery often hurts, but that's how we get better.

kls

Anonymous said...

Well said anonymous "kls".

Anonymous said...

All this apologizing you're doing is offensive! ;-)

Anonymous said...

To Pastor Lyon -
My first response after reading your column was to grin and think to myself, "Agree or disagree, I always read as 'hot off the presses' as I can get it." I think that says lots for you; you always make me think and sort it through. I love you, Pastor, when I see the Scriptures coming to the same conclusion you do and when I don't - because I get the sense that your heart is always trying to be faithful, the intent is true. I value a pastor that wants to be Biblically faithful, and is willing to admit that he may not always interpret or provide modern analogy perfectly and try to make it right. All the same, you always provide it interestingly, prompting us to look for ourselves, pray, and seek God's face.
To the first two blogging responders jlk & kls -
You know, when I read the pastor's columns and I start to disagree, one of the things I ask myself is, "What is his point? Does the conclusion square with the Bible? Is how he got there a critical issue or not?" I think both your points was to support te pastor, and that is great. Further, I think people disagreeing, if not careful, can be needlessly hurtful. All the same, I got the impression from your comments that if someone disagrees with our pastor, then they are self-deceived or spiritually "ill". I am not sure that is always the case; in our church tradition our understanding of Scripture and fallenness has given us a pastor, not a pope. That means sometimes weel-meaning people who believe in Scripture and have loving hearts may sometimes disagree in interpreting it. A blog by nature invites discussion, and even disagreement, to promote thinking Christianly - to hopefully promote living Christianly. I understand that often parishioners are not loving in expressing disagreement, but I think we need to allow that one can disagree with the pastor on Biblical interpretation without it being a lack of personal piety - in fact, I think to agree too quickly without personally searching the Bible and praying and seeking God's face can also display a lack of spiritual integrity. Both your points are well taken in that not everyone who disagrees does so in a loving manner or does so for right reason, but that is not necessarily the situation in all cases.
Like I said, your main point was to support out pastor in general and encourage him, and in that I agree and want to support you. I just want it to be acceptable to come to other conclusions, express them lovingly, and it not be a symptom of spiritual pathology or self-deception by definition. Certainly, we need to all evaluate our motives in all our interactions, whether we come to the same conclusions Biblically or not with any leader in the faith. One of the things I respect most in Jim Lyon is that he welcomes disagreement - handled Biblically and expressed to him directly rather than in gossip - and he listens, lovingly, and if need be, will try to make it right. I respect and want to honor that in him.
Respectfully submitted,
pks

Anonymous said...

Oh my gosh, I made a comment on this blog and I just realized I think I said excepted instead of accepted. Isn’t that the way, you speak up from your heart and you make a mistake. Feel free to correct any of my mistakes.....but I trust you understood what I meant. Do I need to explain all the mistakes I make? Do you need to explain all the mistakes you make? What do you think?

Anonymous said...

Guess what? I just turned on my laptop and Walla, my battery was low and my last Blog was not sent so I could correct my mistake. You see, the Lord can correct your misinterpreted (by others) comments just as easily. Grace, Grace, wonderful Grace.

Anonymous said...

"Dr.Jim" (I like this!!!from KLS),
We really apreciate the way you help us to see ourselfs beyond our confort zone. For some people it is scary!!! But it is not your responsability. When we are so fast to criticize others is because deep in our-selfs we have a big problem to deal with, but YET we are not willing to do so or in worse cases...we have not even recognize that we have a problem!!!...(living in denial, not a wonderful place to be).

We will keep praying for encouragement, strength, GRACE, love and understanding for all of us as a "chuch boby" and for you.

We love you very much.

Lyle & Gloria Shuey.
(this is written by Gloria...so Jim if you want to post it and want to make any changes in grammar feel free... love! Gloria)

Anonymous said...

Just wanted to post an anonymous message. I, too, look forward to reading your column every week. You always write interesting articles. If others don't agree with you, they are entitled to their opinion. I think you are doing your best for God's Kingdom and we should all be proud of what you have done to get the new church opened to the entire community. We have seen so many new faces since we've moved. I'm in two different small groups and have seen a few people with ruffled feathers. They are unhappy because things are not the same as when we were at "North". We have to have change or we remain stagnant. They will get over it. Keep up the good work, Jim! You are such a blessing to us all!

Anonymous said...

Jim, You have made me realize that to get out of my comfort zone is not easy. I am learning to adjust to new ways in our new church (which is awsome). Sunday the sermon on Dreams I was listening to you so hard, that I forgot to breath, all of a sudden I felt myself gasping for a breath. Your dreams and visions for the church make each one of
us THINK! Bless you for all that you do.

Anonymous said...

Good point, pks. There was some assumption on my part that some of the comments Pastor Lyon had received were of a bitter and venemous nature. Some of my previous church experience has been as a church staffer, so I know that comments are, at times, made with a certain amount of "sting" in them. You stated it well: if we are "loving in expressing disagreement," that's cool. Oh, to be a "fly on the wall"--and see the real attitude with which people e-mail and correspond! : )

kls